The Rossington Timeline, provided by Rossington History Group. With gratitude to them, and to their members for allowing this to be included on the website. The Group disbanded in 2016 and passed their remit to the website and Keith Scott’s Facebook page. John Adam of the Group advises that the spelling below of Streatfeild is correct and was later misspelt.
Paleolithic era 8000+ BC Earliest evidence of human presence, a flint hand axe dating from this time found in 1942.
Bronze Age 2000 BC Large Bronze Age beaker found in 1948.
Iron Age 700 BC Crop Marks and field system evidence, with artifacts found.
Roman Age 50 – 450 AD Roman Fort and Potteries established at Rossington Bridge.
Anglo Saxon 500 – 1066 Lord of the Manor – Tostig Godwin – brother of King Harold.
Norman 1066 – 1475 Peter de Mauley built a Manor House at Draw Dykes (adjacent to Atterby Drive). Original church (St Michaels) built in this period.
Middle Ages 1505 Ownership of Rossington Manor given to Doncaster Corporation by King Henry VII.
1652 A free school was established.
1772 James Stovin rented land and built Shooter’s Hill – the original Rossington Hall
1786 A new Manor house built by Doncaster Corporation adjacent to the Church.
1787 The De Mauley Manor House demolished.
1838 Doncaster Corporation sold Rossington Estate to James Brown who became the Squire.
1849 The railway arrives.
1877 R J Streatfeild inherits the estate.
1909 – 1911 Rossington Main Colliery Company leases approx. 60% of the estate from Squire Streatfeild.
1912 The first sod of earth cut, starting the sinking of the pit shafts.
1913 The coal seams reached half a mile below ground.
1915 Co-operative Shops in King Avenue built.
1916 St Luke’s Church completed and opened.
1916 The first coal brought to the surface on July 17th.
1925 The colliery village completed. Named New Rossington.
1938 After the deaths of the Streatfeild family the estate was sold off in 143 lots.
1939 A religious order, the White Fathers, buy Rossington Hall.
1939 – 1945 World War 2. The Hall and estate used by the Royal Army Veterinary Corps to train horses and mules for warfare.
1948 The Hall purchased by Doncaster Corporation.
1953 Doncaster Corporation open a special school in the Hall.
1969 The Coalite plant opens.
1976 The Coalite plant closes
1984 The year-long national miners’ strike begins.
1993 The Government closes the colliery.
1994 The colliery leased and then purchased by RJB Mining (UK Coal)
2006 The colliery finally closes for good.
2008 Rossington Hall school closed and the Hall and the remaining part of the estate put up for sale.
2011 Doncaster Council announces the closure of the Library.
2012 Extraction of coal from the pit tip commences with the creation of a country park being the aim.
2016 The new link road opens along with the construction of a huge “inland port” that is claimed to provide thousands of new jobs.