Rossington Main Colliery closed finally in 2007 after almost a century of coal production and with thousands of jobs having been provided through the years since 1913.  The pit opened originally in 1916 after 3 years of inaugural work.  The token shown below was one of the many that miners handed in as they went into the pit and collected on the way back to the baths at the end of their shift.  They were the record of who was working and who had not yet returned after their shift.

Handed in at the start of the shift and handed back at the end

Handed in at the start of the shift and handed back at the end

Looking towards the headgear from the pit yard

Looking towards the headgear from the pit yard

Rossington Pit Headgear

Rossington Pit Headgear

Leave a Reply