Entry taken from John Adam’s History of Rossington
Probably established in the late 18th/early 19th century. The works were situated around the brick pond, which was the source of the clay, consisted of a brickyard, kiln and tile shed. Quite possible that the Rectory, Fountain cottages, the houses of Ivy House farm, Yew Tree farm, Manor farm and some cottages were constructed of bricks and tiles made at this site.
Shooter’s Hill mansion was built with bricks made from clay deposits excavated within the grounds. A 19th century map shows ‘brick ponds’ near the site of the mansion and a nearby field is named ‘Brick kiln Close’.
Earlier records show in 1703 a Mr. Rayney given permission by the corporation to ‘cast up clay and make bricks for the building of two dwelling houses in Littleworth Lane’. In 1713 the then Rector of St. Michael’s, Mr. Jackson, was given permission to do the same.
The brick works situated at the brick pond were owned by Doncaster Corporation, as was the rest of Rossington estate, until its sale in 1838 to James Brown of Leeds. It is probable that he and his descendants made bricks here for the improvement of the village.
An account book for the brickworks exists in Doncaster Archives for the years 1829 t0 1831.
Total bricks sold: 90,055
Monies received: £126 10s 61/2d
Pan Tiles sold; 6,080
Monies received: £13 14s 51/2d
Total bricks sold: 73,138
Monies received: £ 102 11s 51/2d
Tiles sold; 1,820
Monies received: £ 5 4s 7d
Total bricks sold: 21,375
Monies received: £ 32 7s 4d
1830 prices per 1,000
Course bricks; 28/-
Pillar bricks (round) 40/-
Quick Cooping: 40/-
Pan Tiles: 57/6d
Large round drain: 50/-
Small round drain: 40/-
Flat round drain: 24/-
The majority of bricks made were for use by Doncaster Corporation and are not included in the figures above. The book records that in 1831 bricks were supplied for the Race course, the High Street drain, for Mount Pleasant and West Laith Gate drain. Tenant farmers in Rossington also purchased bricks at their own expense. In 1831 John Bradford purchased 3000 course bricks, plus 300 pillar bricks, to build a new cattle shed.
So far no exact starting date has been found for the brickworks nor a date when work stopped after the flooding of the clay workings.